create.

a warm welcome to the blog. here is where you can follow my thoughts and musings on the craft of creating a world from words. through the muses and stories, i hope that you'll be able to learn a little more about me. feel free to leave comments on the blog telling me what to improve, or what you liked. happy reading!

5.29.2011

reading to write.

okay, before y'all jump on me for turning this into also a reading blog, let me defend myself.
i think it's really important to keep reading novels and finding lines that i like to help craft my writing. for example, the particular sadness of lemon cake was a fantastic piece. i loved it--and i think it also educated me on a set of experiences that a family can have. it was bluntly realistic with a bit of whimsical fantasy thrown in. i loved it (as i already said).

i am also reading some other novels. my eighth grade language arts teacher lent me a couple books, hotel on the corner of bitter and sweet and deadline. hotel on the corner of bitter and sweet was a fantastic book--i should go back through it and pick out my favorite lines. it hit home for me because it addresses my own personal family history. deadline was another fabulous book. it dealt with the brevity of life as well as love, life, and loss. it was perfect. i know that i am different than most of my friends because i navigate the world with my feelings. take away my emotions, and i am no longer myself. i lost people close to me starting in eighth grade, a bit earlier in the game. sure, there are those who have lost people earlier than that, but they don't really understand and aren't able to process that loss. i honestly think that deadline is only good for those who have dealt with death and loss personally.

right now, i am reading a book called the morning star by andre schwarz-bart. it's an interesting book, but then i have to remember that it was written originally in french and translated. it's kinda quirky because it's super... convoluted. there was one section where the main character found out that the entire chapter that was written was all a dream. (inception, anyone?) i basically almost balked and stopped reading the book, but i really want to see what happens. i'll persevere, i guess.

1 comment:

  1. No one cares what you do with your blog. Okay, that sounds mean. But, I mean, it's your blog and you shouldn't have to defend yourself.

    ReplyDelete

love it? hate it?