create.

a warm welcome to the blog. here is where you can follow my thoughts and musings on the craft of creating a world from words. through the muses and stories, i hope that you'll be able to learn a little more about me. feel free to leave comments on the blog telling me what to improve, or what you liked. happy reading!

3.24.2011

as prompted by tumblr anon... (apbta): the importance of setting. without flashbacks.

so... yeah. this is gonna be hard.
prompt:
Pick a place. From your character's POV, describe it. The trick, though, is to show how important that place is to them using details. Avoid flashbacks.
my response first is what, how do you expect me to not use flashbacks. and then it's oh, you gave me a hint. here goes.
* * *
the school halls are empty and my footsteps echo like gunshots as i ramble on through. the clean-for-the-summer linoleum throws the late afternoon summer sun in my eyes as i try to walk just anywhere that i can, anywhere to get away from the hype of the last week of school. the seniors have long since departed with whoops and shouts, off celebrating their final days of compulsory public schooling.

my wanderings have led me to my locker that my best friend and i share. i run my hand over the refreshingly cool beige metal, spinning the dial carelessly. i slide the switch upwards and the locker swings open easily. i catch sight of the white board that's hanging on the door. a drawing in the back of the locker attracts my gaze, and i giggle slightly. the slightly tattered paper holds a picture of a tomato encrusted with diamonds along with a carrot with a haunting face. i reread the captions for what seems the millionth time and i sigh wistfully. it reminds me of a friendship that i've broken and will probably never get back. i gently close my locker with a firm hand, letting the metallic slam announce its fleeting presence in the silent hallways.

2 comments:

  1. That was very melancholy, but thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friendly anon here. Never not creeping.
    I like it- you almost cheated, but you didn't, and it turned out well, I think!

    ReplyDelete

love it? hate it?