create.

a warm welcome to the blog. here is where you can follow my thoughts and musings on the craft of creating a world from words. through the muses and stories, i hope that you'll be able to learn a little more about me. feel free to leave comments on the blog telling me what to improve, or what you liked. happy reading!

9.08.2010

assigned blog post #1: the truth, and nothing but.

“I should fictionalize it more, I should conceal myself.”  ~rick moody

to some point, i totally agree with this quote. the writer shouldn't be evident. a certain style can be, but never the writer themselves. in this way, we have a rather detached piece of art instead of one that the artist is especially involved in. but looking at my muses (most of them... 2/3?) and the writing piece that i was going to submit for the prompt "looking for something lost," i find that it is this personal touch that endears the writing to the author. as one saying goes, "all lies are based in a kernel of truth. finding that kernel in the lie is the hard part." since that kernel is so hard to find, we should all feel safe to write what we feel, and let think ink flow from our hearts, through our fingertips, and out onto the page be it electronic or paper. if you look back at previous posts from me in the muses (except for disgusting), you'll find a bit of me hiding there. now, what part of me is lurking behind the words is up to you (and if you get it right, congrats, you've got a window into my mind). so as the semester goes on, i hope with all my heart that we will not be afraid of sharing our truths with each other. we all are friends here, and we deserve nothing less. additionally, it is the stories that have truth for us that resonate the loudest with us--those that shake us to our core are the ones that are the most successful. those are the stories that inspire us to change our lives, and ultimately change the world.

1 comment:

  1. you should become a motivational speaker xD and i don't think i've ever told you this, but i really like your decapitalization style - i know that this comment itself is hard for me to write because i'm just not used to this! and your descriptions, in both this and your muses, are amazing. Really (I give up -.-) enjoyed all your muses so far, and I totally agree with you, looking forward to fantastic stuff from our class.

    ReplyDelete

love it? hate it?