create.

a warm welcome to the blog. here is where you can follow my thoughts and musings on the craft of creating a world from words. through the muses and stories, i hope that you'll be able to learn a little more about me. feel free to leave comments on the blog telling me what to improve, or what you liked. happy reading!

11.24.2010

planning.

so it really seems to me that every time i try and plan something, it fails epicly. all in terms of writing, of course.

for instance, my original short story was going to be based off of roflpets and a prank. i made a story map out of it, but then i tried to write the actual thing. that didn't go so well. i found myself just writing to get from point a to point b, and not really showing everything that unfolded. everything just happened, and i didn't do the story justice by just telling about everything. so, maybe with short stories, you don't really need planning--you just need the premise, what happens in general, and all of that. then, just write, write, write, write your heart out. choose the right words (pun intended) so that everything happens as you picture it--you don't want some part of your world not functioning just because you didn't choose the right word.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I think part of the issue with me is that I plan so much that I end up creating a largely visual episode in my head, then I have trouble putting that scene into words. As you said, I think the best fiction I write I write when I just put my heart (not brain) in it.

    ReplyDelete

love it? hate it?