create.

a warm welcome to the blog. here is where you can follow my thoughts and musings on the craft of creating a world from words. through the muses and stories, i hope that you'll be able to learn a little more about me. feel free to leave comments on the blog telling me what to improve, or what you liked. happy reading!

12.05.2010

listening.

i was talking with one of my friends today, and it struck me exactly how hard it is to just truly listen (just as rick mentioned in his story). i found myself wanting to jump in and add my own two cents--but that wasn't what my friend needed. i just needed to listen, and be a touchstone at the moment. and it's hard. i want to be able to respond and offer my insight--but sometimes, people don't need that.

another part about listening that's hard is passing judgment on the person. for instance, when i'm listening to my friends sometimes, their comments just leave me a little bitter and slash or caustic and i want to rip them for making such comments. if i'm talking to them not in person, i roll my eyes to try and get that feeling out of my system because what they really need is someone to listen to them.

and finally, to those of you that have listened to me while i ramble on and on as i am wont to do, a huge thank you. listening is quite possibly the hardest thing to do.

1 comment:

  1. Yup, I am sorry :(
    I am the bad at listening. And the giving good advice. And the not-giving-bad-advice-when-all-they-need-is-a-friendly-ear.

    ReplyDelete

love it? hate it?